- What We Do
- We Buy and Sell Fair Trade
- Development Projects
- Policy and Campaigns
- Buying Fair Trade
- Get Involved
- About Traidcraft
- News and Blog
- Donate Now
- UCB Donate Now
What is Fair Trade?
We believe that injustice in trade is a global issue. In a world where the gap between rich and poor continues to grow and where, in business, maximising profit is higher up the agenda than social responsibility, millions of hard-working and skilled producers and workers throughout the developing world remain in poverty.
Fair trade was created as an alternative way of doing trade. It is based on partnership, which means that the interests of farmers and workers are just as important as other commercial considerations. It also represents one solution to poverty and a model for development.
Key Principles of Fair Trade
- Trading practices are fair and not one-sided.
- Prices paid are fair and sufficient for producers and workers to earn more than enough to merely meet their day-to-day needs.
- Payments are often made in advance to ensure the supplier can fulfill orders.
- Producers and workers have a voice, whether organised into groups or involved in workplaces where there is freedom of association.
- Safe working conditions, non-discrimination and welfare of children.
The Wider World of Fair Trade
Fair Trade has grown enormously since the 1980s. There are lots of organisations throughout the world who share the same mission and philosophy as Traidcraft. We call ourselves Fair Trade Organisations (FTOs) and often work together.
Traidcraft is a member of two larger membership organisations.
- The European Fair Trade Association (EFTA), which is a group of like-minded FTOs in Europe, collaborating in product development, purchasing and a whole range of other things.
- The World Fair Organisation (WFTO), which is a larger global membership body of FTOs and importantly includes membership in the global South – in other words producers from Africa, Central and Latin America and Asia who are seeking to benefit from Fair Trade.
"Fair trade helps us all earn money so the whole community can benefit"
The FAIRTRADE Mark
The Fairtrade Foundation licenses the FAIRTRADE Mark to thousands of products in the UK. The supply chain of each of these products must comply with the Fairtrade Standards. The Mark is recognised by over 80% of the UK population. Traidcraft is proud of the fact that we were one of the founders of the Fairtrade Foundation back in the 1990’s.